4 Juices to Improve Your Lung Health
Improving your lung health can be as simple as breaking out the blender.
If you or someone you love suffers from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), maintaining one’s nutrition can be a hard task. When factoring in limited mobility, even the act of cooking can be exhausting. Despite this, there are alternative options available to promote better nutrition while reducing the stress of exhaustive meal prep: the solution is juicing. By blending fruits and vegetables into a fine juice, this process allows all the vitamins and minerals needed by the body to be delivered through one convenient drink.
With your health in mind, we’re here to give you the shortlist of the best 4 Juices to Improve Your Lung Health that will keep you full of energy and breathing healthy.
1.) Sunrise Detox Smoothie
We’ve mentioned the cardiovascular benefits of potassium in bananas before, raspberries on the other hand are renowned for their anti-inflammatory properties that work to reduce inflammation in pulmonary airways and promote better breathing. Combined with the antioxidants of mangoes, pineapples, and lemon juice, with the natural electrolytes of coconut water, this smoothie is the perfect way to start the day.
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen mango
- ½ cup pineapple
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup coconut water
- Juice of one lemon
- Place banana, mango, pineapple, raspberries, and lemon juice in a blender. Add coconut water. Process for 30 seconds, or until smooth.
2.) Radish Detox Smoothie
Although the Radish is a spicy root vegetable, it’s a surprisingly good source of vitamin C. Radishes are capable of fighting diseases and rescuing cells from destructive free radicals. Radishes can also regulate blood pressure, relieve congestion, and prevent respiratory problems such as asthma or bronchitis.
- 1 bunch of radishes
- ½ cup mixed sprouts: sunflower, alfalfa, radish
- ½ cup chopped radish leaves
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ fresh or frozen raspberries
- ½ fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 ½ cup coconut water
- ½ cup Thai style coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- Place radishes, sprouts and radish leaves in a blender. Add coconut water. Process for 30 seconds or so.
- Add berries, banana, salt and coconut milk. Process until smooth.
3.) Love Your Lungs Juice
Pineapples are one of the most nutritious (and tasty) fruits available. Sweet in taste and packed full of Vitamin C and special enzymes like bromelin—which is believed to assist the lungs in moving debris and detoxing naturally—the pineapple is great for preventing mucous build up and helping to clear out the lungs.
- 1 pineapple center (contains the most bromelin)
- 3 Celery stalks (the greener the better)
- 2 Carrots
- Small handful of Cilantro
- 1 Inch Ginger Root (peeled)
- 1 Cup of Coconut Water
- Place pineapple, celery stalks, carrots, cilantro and ginger root into a blender. Add coconut water. Process for 30 seconds, or until smooth.
4.) Anti-Inflammatory Tonic
As inflammation of the lungs is the primary cause for distressed breathing in COPD, natural vitamins and nutrients that hold anti-inflammatory properties are key to relieving these symptoms. With this in mind, there are few natural ingredients stronger in anti-inflammatory properties than turmeric and ginger. Blended with the vitamin-rich antioxidants orange, lemon, celery and carrots, the “Anti-Inflammatory Tonic” lives up to its name as one of the best juices for COPD available.
- 2cm fresh turmeric
- 4 carrots
- 1cm fresh ginger
- 1 orange
- ½ lemon
- 3 stalks celery
- Place fresh turmeric, carrots, ginger, orange, lemon and celery stalks into a blender.
- Process for 30 seconds, or until smooth.
For those suffering from chronic conditions such as lung disease, the importance of managing one’s nutrition is a daily truth. However, when traditional remedies to address lung disease begin to feel ineffective, it may be time to consider an alternative. If you’re looking to take control of your health, don’t wait.