Chef Deb’s Organic Marinated Ciliegine & Tomatoes
Make the most of garden fresh produce by creating this simple, delicious, & healthy organic recipe!
This versatile recipe can be used as a stand-alone salad, on top of Romaine lettuce, or served as an appetizer with a sliced crusty loaf of bread or thick crackers. It is excellent alongside beef, chicken, or fish, or served with your favorite plate of pasta. Serves up to 5 as a main meal dish, and up to 10 people as an appetizer portion.
- 1 (8 oz.) container of plain Mozzarella Ciliegine (Mozzarella balls), water drained and discarded *See Below
- 12 ripe organic Cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- Large handful of fresh organic basil leaves, washed, leaves ripped & stems discarded
- 2/3 cup of good quality organic Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. organic White Vinegar
- 2 Tsp. organic Cane Sugar (helps reduce the tartness of the vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh organic parsley
- 1 Tbsp. fresh organic lemon juice
- 2 organic garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried organic basil, crumbled
- ¼ tsp dried organic crushed red pepper
- Pinch of organic oregano
Directions: Combine first three main ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Gently drizzle desired amount of dressing to taste over the Mozzarella ball mixture and gently mix. Important: Go lightly adding the dressing. Taste as you go and expect to have extra dressing. Serve immediately. Serve with organic
7 Tips & Shortcuts:
- Store leftover dressing tightly sealed in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Double the dressing and use the leftovers on ordinary salads and/or as a meat marinade for chicken or beef.
- To save time the day of your event, prepare the dressing one day in advance and store in the refrigerator. Just before serving, assemble the main ingredients and dress the salad.
- If you cannot find organic Mozzarella balls, instead use 1 (6 to 8 oz.) block of Certified Organic and Non-GMO Verified Mozzarella cheese, and cut into bite-sized squares.
- For ease, substitute the recipe dressing with a prepared bottle of the Organic Italian salad dressing of your choice.
- If you use marinated Ciliegine, simply use the marinade that comes with it in place of any other dressing.
- Substitute Cherry Tomatoes with smaller Grape Tomatoes and leave them whole.
Guess what? Tomatoes are rich in Lycopene, a healthy flavonoid antioxidant that is good for you!
Good to know: *Ciliegine is pronounced (chee-lee-ay-JEE’-nay)