Organic Veggie or Salmon Pinwheel Appetizer Recipe!
Cooking organically doesn’t have to mean using hard-to-find ingredients or flavor-less recipes.
Here is one of our favorite fall appetizers to try on a relaxing Saturday afternoon!
Italian Veggie Pinwheels (recipe courtesy of Cascadian Farm) This tasty no-cook appetizer makes 15-30 veggie pinwheels. Prep time varies if you use an already prepared pesto blend or if you make your own.
- 3-6 tablespoons of prepared basil pesto (To make your own prepared basil pesto – you will need 2 cups of fresh basil leaves, 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts, 3 minced garlic cloves, salt & pepper to taste – mix basil leaves & nuts in food processor and pulse several times – add garlic & cheese and pulse again. Scrape food processor with a spatula then slowly add olive oil while pulsing food processor. Scrape side as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.)
- 3-6 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 flour tortillas (8-10 inch)
- 1 bag frozen organic vegetable blend (thawed/drained) or fresh, cooked organic veggies
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Stir pesto & sour cream. Spread over tortillas and top with veggies & layer with lettuce; sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll tortillas tightly. Wrap securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate one (1) hour.
- Serve by cutting tortillas into 1-inch slices and secure each pinwheel with a toothpick.
ADD MEAT or SALMON for a meat-lovers delight!